Tom, respectfully a UofPittsburgh professor of Public Health is not
a crank, and her claims and arguments were quite reasonable when
interviewed on NPR. Flourescent lighting does not broadcast its energy an
inch from your brain (actually I doubt the UV doesn't penetrate
your skin).  Furthermore, I think that after only about 10 years of
following the public exposure I have heard of studies (I don't know
how large the samples) that cell phone usage
increased risk of non-malignant brain
tumors.  What are we going to see at 20 years.

And just to reiterate,I said I thought Bluetooth was
a minimal risk, whereas with cell phones the jury is not
in.

FYI, one of the criticisms she leveled is that a widely quoted
large scale study from Denmark,  was designed to exclude people
who had the most exposure.  The subjects of the study had minutes
rather than hours per day of exposure.

The public perception (including myself formerly) is that cell have
been given a clean bill of health. The truth is no one yet knows the
long term effects of moderate to heavy use and that in general no one
will until a 20 years long experiment run its course. Unfortunately,
the subjects in that experiment are the public. Using the public
to test health effects of products is pretty much the American way. -PJM

Tom Piwowar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >If anyone listened to the public health
academic who wrote
>"The Secret History of the War On Cancer" some of the most
>quoted studies
>done on cell phone radiation have severe methodological
>flaws and even if they were good might been inadequate for
>assessing the  brain cancer risk 20 or 30  years out (which is
>the appropriate scale for the development of brain cancer)

This topic and radiation from monitors seems to bring out the cranks. In
years past similar vehemence was directed to electrification and
telephones. The common theme seems to be fear of invisible forces.

>From what I have seen, you are correct to say there have not been any
good studies. However, it should be emphasized that there have not been
any good studies for either side of the issue: nothing to show that there
is or is not a problem.

What clinches it for me are the studies that identify the various sources
of electromagnetic radiation exposure. In an office environment the #1
source is fluorescent lighting. Nothing else comes close. Another big
source is commercial broadasting. So my thinking is that it is not worth
stressing over minor sources when I can't do anything about the major
sources.

Checkout One Laptop Per Child project laptop.org