Fred,

Thanks for the idea ..... increasing the swap file from 768 to 2GB did the trick.

Page file topped out at 1.5 GB and then I was able to close the offending geeky website and page filing plummeted to 453 MB. I am not updating Firefox etc. while I am procrastinating re: all the work that it will take to transition to a new computer that I purchased....

db

Fred Holmes wrote:
Why aren't you using Firefox 2.0.0.11 or whatever the latest is now?  Maybe
this is a bug that has been fixed?

Try increasing the size of the system swap file by a whole lot.  Maybe Firefox doesn't
know how to handle the situation of running out of swap file?  (Maybe all programs don't?
 After all, what does a program do when the loaded data exceeds the available
"memory"?  Only a few text editors know how to page through a file and edit the
current sector, and splice a new sector into the file.  They were back in the days of
CP/M and maybe early DOS.)

Get a 4GB (or even larger) flash drive and use all of it for the swap file.

Fred Holmes