If you reprogrammed your AirPort router to log you in via the DSL modem
it will no longer have the settings to connect you through the cable
modem. So, no, it is not as simple as just moving the wire from the DSL
modem to the cable modem.

If you were getting just a fraction of the data rate you were supposed to
be getting and after downgrading your service to a lower rate you are
only getting a fraction of the new lower rate, I woule suspect a problem
with the line. You may have a high percentage of NACs so are losing
bandwidth to packets that have to be resent.

Did you try the tests we were playing with the other week?

http://myspeed.visualware.com/