Some systems will lock you out after a small number of consecutive failed
authentication attempts.  Three?  Five?  Ten?

It would also seem possible to write code that requires the system to wait, say
five seconds, before another attempt at a correct password may be made, thus
making a dictionary attack impossibly long.

I don't think requiring frequent change of password is worth much.

Sooner or later everyone will have a CAC card, or at least banks will issue
them for on-line banking.

Fred Holmes