Use Audacity to record, clean up and edit into individual tracks, then use the EXPORT option to save the files in .WAV format. Convert the .Wav files with iTunes at your preferred bit rate. 128k is the default and is adequate for headphone listening while jogging or plugging into the car stereo. 256k with VBR is good if you want to use the iPod in a home stereo. These settings are in the application preferences. For high quality transcriptions to CDs iTunes will burn standard audio CDs from the mp3s you create OR the original WAV files so be sure to tell it what you want. When dealing with archived copies on your hard drive in iTunes it's nice to know which version of a song is which. In the VIEW OPTIONS menu make sure you have the bit rate and file sizes set to display in the columns so you can keep track of things.

So let me start over. I know next to nothing about recording music to iPods. What is the best way to save cassettes/records to an external hard drive for future use (dubbing high quality to CD's), as well as put them into iPod/iTunes for listening. I already have the hardware (USB converter/turntable), but don't know which software and methodology to use. Win XP SP2 Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

--
E. Riley Casey
Silver Spring MD