We have been using CAC's (Common Access Cards) for years. They work as
a photo ID as well as for network authentication. Ours contain a mag a
strip as well as a smart chip. BTW, we still have a regular password
that changes every 120 (?) days for the website through which all our
CAC's and the associated accounts are maintained. We sign onto the LAN
using a PIN.

YMMV

--
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable
superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able