Yes, my host has smtp. But like pretty much ALL hosts these days, they
no longer allow 'relaying' or whatever it's called.

I can create 1000 email accounts and they'll all work fine. But when a
forum member clicks a button "send email to this (other) user", PHP
mail() sends it with *their* registered return email address, it does
NOT come from an account I've set up. So it gets rejected. Right now I
just have email features turned off. All forum 'business' email works
fine since it all comes from _my_ account. But that really wouldn't
work for people emailing each other.

Sorry, I cannot login with Putty right now. It wants a username and
password and I'm just too damn used to using Roboform and I really
don't want to hassle with trying to find the darn login. The forum's
admin control panel tells me it's "Linux, Apache 2.0.6.1 (cgi)" if
that helps. I vaguely remember reading on their forum they use
Posix(?).

Again, if this is a lot of trouble, fighting spam or otherwise, I'll
just leave emails turned off. Members can still PM each other and they
can subscribe to instant email notifications of PMs (which come from
my [EMAIL PROTECTED] account).