>I heard it and am tempted to write to Marketplace about a very poorly
>researched story. The assertion that there is a shortage of capacity is
>false. One of the two "experts" she interviewed was actually just another
>reporter.

So I did...

I was saddened to hear yesterday's report "Time Warner plans pay-for-data
option" by Ashley Milne-Tyte. Such stories spread false information and
turn Marketplace into the propaganda ministry for greedy corporations. I
was especially unhappy that one of the two people interviewed in the
story (Declan McCullagh) was another reporter! He is a smart guy, but no
expert. This is lazy journalism. If your reporter had contacted an
engineer with knowledge of the facts I expect you would have had a very
different and true story.

Digging just a little deeper would have revealed that the premise of the
story is false: there is no bandwidth shortage. A technology called dense
wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) can tremendously increase the
carrying capacity of existing fiber cables by simply changing a box at
either end of the cable. A huge return for a relatively small investment.
The bigger story is that DWDM manufacturers are not doing all that well
in the marketplace. Companies like Time Warner are not buying their
products because they don't want more capacity.

I hope you do better next time.