I don't see what's wrong.  "1. Press 'Enter' to continue with the
installation." seems to be the correct choice, i.e., just proceed.  What,
explicitly, happens when you do it?  How does it "not work"?

If you are expecting to load a third-party (Adaptec) disk/host adapter driver,
what's the source of your installation disk?  If it came with the machine from
a major manufacturer, the necessary driver may have been added to the XP
installation disk.  Or if the XP installation disk has SP-2 slipstreamed into
the installation, your Adaptec driver may already be there.  Adaptec drivers
that existed at the time the installation disc content was finalized are surely
included on the XP installation disc.

The second instance of an option to repair a previous installation is different
from the first one.  I don't know what the difference is in technical terms,
but I have had an instance of trying to repair a Win2000 installation, where
the first option to repair did not work but the second one did.

With my experience in installing XP (a couple of times), if the hard disk is
"not understood" by the installation process, you are prompted for a driver
disc (to put in the floppy drive) whether or not you have answered the prompt
to press F-3.

If your installation disc is defective (can't be read), it should either let
you know with an error message, or keep trying in which the drive light will
tell you it is trying but you don't get any progress.

Fred Holmes