>2007 answer.  Some nobel prize winning economists have argued and their
>view are pretty mainstream, even if debated, that the availability (or
>rather the lack of availability) of information robs consumers of the
>ability to push the market through price competition to its ideal efficiency.
>The so-called information assymmetry economist argue that this problem of
>not enough information is the rule rather than the exception.

Is this "2007" answer really a "1987" answer? In 2008 I use the Internet
almost every day to "push the market through price competition." I rarely
buy anything worth over $50 without at least a quick check of prices. I
find that even just a quick check can often save me 20 to 50 percent.

Am I an exception?

Although Google's shopping search has lost its luster I still find that
it is the most efficient source. It is not limited to one kind of goods
and it indexes online stores, ebay, and other price engines.

If you are shopping on the 'net, what is your preferred site?