I've done that with one machine (different details) and have been able to get
everything to work.  Requires some tweaking.  I've even considered it more
secure, since nothing is in its "standard" location.  That being said, the only
thing I can recommend for a fix is a Google search.  When booted, you can't
change the letter for the boot or system drive (which can be different, the
boot drive being where ntldr, etc. are, and the system drive being where the
WINNT/WINDOWS director is>).

Rule of thumb is that all drives except a standard floppy attached to the
motherboard should be disconnected when installing a Windows OS as the first OS
on the machine unless you deliberately want a non-standard configuration.

In principle one could install the drive as an "extra" drive on another
machine, and then hack the appropriate portion of the configuration information
(maybe just a registry entry), if you knew where it is.  I don't.

Fred Holmes