It's magic.

Seriously, the 100-240v designation on the power supply indicates that it can
handle both voltages, sensing the input voltage and automatically stepping it
down to the much lower voltage used by the computer. By building this sensing
and switching capability into a single power supply used in all of its
computers, the manufacturer doesn't have to keep track of where in the world
the machine is to be used - other than supplying a cord with the correct plug
at one end.

As for exactly how the sensing and switching is handled, you'd have to get a
techie with a wiring diagram to explain.

Dan :-)

>>> Brian Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2/13/2008 11:15 AM >>>
Dan,
    I am going to Spain next month (240v).  I noticed my tiny Toshiba power
supply says input: 100-240 volts, output: 19v.
Are you saying that I do NOT need a step-down transformer?  How does the
transformer detect and switch modes?

  - Brian