I have heard of people doing the following: they get "select a ring" or "smart ring" or whatever their phone company is calling it this month. Any directory listing for the person will be for the "primary" phone number at that location. They put a fax machine on that number, and only pick up for the secondary number.

Of course, I disconnected my fax machine a couple of years ago (who sends faxes when Email is cheaper, faster, and easier?). I still get a few faxes every morning.

We used to have the phone listed in my wife's unpronouncable maiden name (no extra charge to have the phone listed in any name you want, though there is a one-time charge [about $15] to change the listing). We ended that 5 years ago. Just yesterday I got a "charitable" call from someone who fumbled the name. I asked who it was, said "I gave at the office" or something, and hung up.

I'm now starting to get text-message spam on my cell phone. This annoys me because my plan requires me to pay for all text messages (I don't use the feature myself). It's not a problem YET: I get far more wrong numbers than text messages.