I see those ferrite cores on lots of cables.  I have several analog video
cables (HD-15 connectors) with them.  Since there is a connector on each end of
the cable but the core is only on one end, it's not clear the purpose.  There
doesn't seem to be any instruction as to which end of the cable goes where
(computer/monitor).  I've always guessed that they were spike protection rather
than interference protection -- high voltage that manages to get on the data
lines starting, e.g., from the cable / telephone line Internet connection.  Is
there any credible "official" statement as to their purpose?

Fred Holmes