this is where most of the avs geeks live:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php

if it don't say hd, it ain't.  besides that, I think 720i(integrated) qualifies
as hd.  then there is 720p and 1080i & p.  integrated means the gun paints
every other line, then goes back and paints the in betweens.  p(forgot what
it'scalled)  throws all 720 or 1080 down each pass.

i think almost all of them now come with the ability to receive and play HD
broadcasts, but do not presume.  I think most broadcasts and cable is 720, not
1080.  bluray is 1080, i think.  my wife's new camcorder is 1080.

now adays, 1080p is readily available and not for much extra.
 samsung(and maybe others by now sell a dlp led.  it is not thin.  not too
thick.  has better contrast and brightness than an lcd.  lot cheaper also.  I
think the buy.com deals on samsung probably come direct from samsung.  you can
go to bestbuy or circuitcity to see and compare the various units.

I see that this week's special on samsung is $1150 delivered for the 56".  or
the 61 with a stand is 1629 delivered.  that is a deal also, if you need a
stand.  will have new specials in a week or so.

for the long of it, go to wikipedia.org