i think the best known fund that tracks that is the Vangard index 500 fund.  i
think it is the s&p 500 marketbasket, less about a half % annually  for
expenses.  since '76, shows 11.6% annual return.  10 year, however, shows only
3.99% return.  i do not recall exact numbers, but only a modest percentage
(10%) of mutual funds beat the dow or the s&p500.

probably better than passbook, and more stable than common stock funds are AAA
rated preferred stocks.  one can purchase one's own stocks for $10 for a
purchase of 10k, 100k, or 1m.

the problem with all individual purchases is:

1. the bid-asked system of purchase.  small investors get the short end of the
stick

2.  information chain.  the big guys know more, and get there firstist with the
mostest.

3.  the small guy advantage, small positions are taken.  the big guy has to
buy/sell 10+m for  a position.  this affects the market.

or buy berkshire hathaway, and live on buffett smarts