Sorry I missed out on on the fun discussion today, I was unavoidably detained.

Your point make me wary to change the drive letters even though the removable media Disks 2-5 (F-I) currently have no drives assigned to them other than it saying that they are removable and there is currently no media. My guess is that these volumes (?) are default for any future internal media drives which may be installed, but I'm not sure. I would hate to change one and not be able to fix it back if it didn't work.

What really throws me off is that Windows is telling me to transfer my settings to these non-existent drives and won't allow an option to save to existing drives. Is there a way around this?

It is interesting to note that these F-I "drives" show up in Windows Explore but when clicked on, asks to insert a disk. The only disk drive that I have is E which is a DVD/CD drive. So what are these F-I disk drives?

Richard P.

Tom Piwowar wrote:
When you start up an application in Windows, the operating system needs to know where to find the various components. If you happen to locate some components in other than the default locations,

Studying many years in the school of hard knocks I have found that locating any components in other than the default locations is asking for trouble. All too often some idiot program will hard code the path, causing the user great pain.

Before OS X, Mac users would laugh about this Windows-only problem. Now in the land of Unix the best advice for OS X users is the same...

Never move any application-related files from default locations.

Never rename any application-related directories from default names.

I want to use the Win XP File and Settings Transfer Wizard to save my configuration but it only opens up save options for default External Drives F, G, H, and I, all of which have nothing attached to them. When I hook an external USB hard drive, it shows up as the first available letter, "J", which isn't an option for the Wizard.

How can I get my "J" external drive to show up in the transfer wizard defaults? It doesn't allow browsing for my selection and when I try to change the "J" external drive letter, F, G, H, and I are not listed as an option.