>"Calling the situation "untenable" and describing Windows as
>"collapsing," a pair of Gartner analysts this week said Microsoft must
>make radical changes to the operating system or risk becoming a
>has-been."

I don't think the Windows fan boys will ever have such an epiphany.
Instead it is more likely that the current race to the bottom will
continue. As company founders get replaced by MBAs and marketing types
these companies are no longer run by people who understand technology.
The new managers want to make as much money as possible will little or no
work. They want to emulate Microsoft. We see this currently happenin at
Adobe. We see it at Apple with OS X because Jobs is focusing on other
things.