Come on Mical!! We navigated through downtown Hong Kong with maps and a compass. Did we need GPS? ;-D

Didn't get lost in the Australian outback with maps and a compass. Found our way through the mountains in Crete with map and compass. My dad got lost in south Jersey last week. He called me on his cell phone. I looked up his location on Google; he used the NJ map [with no help from my mom!] to find his way to Maryland.

Yes, the expensive GPS toy will guide you--if you pay enough. New TomToms work OK. BTW, my compass from Finland that I picked up at REI cost $12, and maps are free, or almost free.

Isn't it about time for you to get a new cell phone? Doesn't Verizon have ones with GPS? GPS is built into newer cell phones so the telco can find YOU. With special software you can use the GPS, too. Looks like the GPS software can work with phones from LG, Blackberry, Samsung, Moto, etc. Look for VZ Navigator GPS. If they have the GPS phone you like, that will be one less brick weighting down your bag. I'd pick the Blackberry Pearl, or LG.

http://tinyurl.com/42asaa

Betty