Thanks to everyone for my rapid education and confirmation of my
prejudices. I'm especially thrilled to have all this new jargon to throw
around!

You all lead me to conclude...

T1 at 1.5 Mbps is no big deal and hardly competes with Business ADSL
3.0/2.5 service priced at $60 month. Business FIOS looks even better at
15 Mbps both ways for $99/mo.

Metro Ethernet would look interesting, providing a 10 Mbps connection,
but the $1300/month price is off putting. Way overpriced compared to
Business FIOS.

Some lines being sold as T1 may really be DSL. If so, I need to find out
if the client was talking T1 because they were hoping to use some of it
for accessing the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network). DSL won't be
good for that. Need to check prices carefully because a bunch of
individual business lines may cost less than an T1.

I see that there are also lots of alternatives out there:
- TLS (Transparent LAN Service) useful to interconnect distant offices.
- SONET and GigE look to be too high capacity for what I'm doing

The one issue I'm still worrying about is the scare about "uptime
guarantee." If the client decides to rely heavily on VOIP then the
reliability of the service becomes more of an issue. But then, a couple
of years ago we lost our business's phones for 3 days after a downtown
flood, but never lost the DSL.