i still have an addonics external CD reader.  think it is a 1 speed.  it
connects through the parallel or serial port.  i forgot which.  i do not know
if i threw the interconnect cable away or not.  i used it in the past to load
operating systems on laptops that did not have a floppy drive.  you can load
drivers with it.

i do still have the software on my computer for that machine.

i do recall programs(pc anywhere?Norton???)  would allow one to attach two
computers together.  i do not think i still have the software

Laplink was another program.  would allow data transfer through the serial
ports.  call them.  they would probably have laplink ver 1 available for you.
you can transfer the program to another computer, or perhaps transfer the data
to another machine.