I don't have a terabyte sized one, but I do have a 500 gigabyte
Western Digital My Book drive that I quite like, and I have heard
good things in general about the My Book series.  They come in
three flavors:

USB only,
USB, Firewire 400, eSATA
USB Firewire 400, Firewire 800.

Newegg has the 1TB drives from $225 on up, depending on
flavor.  There are 1.5TB and 2TB versions as well.

I can't recall a specific review that led me to buy mine, but after
I did, I noticed that the nearby Apple store carries My Book
drives, and they generally do a good vetting of the third-party
hardware that they carry.  You should at least think about
paying the little bit extra to get one with eSATA or Firewire 800.

David

Phil Marchetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked:

Anyone have a favorite brand or model of this kind of drive ?

A good magazine article review ?

Besides terabyte, I am looking for FireWire 400 & USB 2 at a minimum,
external & reliable.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Phil