Am I correct in assuming that many of these other countries have some kind of government support in developing a broadband system?

Yeah, that's a point.  I don't believe we ever got a dime out of
the government outside of the Federal Cost Recovery Surcharge,
which was actually pretty big money, check your phone bill.

But that was meant to compensate local phone companies for the
cost of doing business after the Bell monopoly was broken up
and the local companies no longer got a slice of the AT&T long
distance revenue.

In terms of building out a next generation optical network we
are pretty much on our own as far as financing is concerned.

We are confident that our investment will pay off, in the long
run.

It is certainly true that European and Asian governments subsidize
telecom to a greater extent than in the United States.

We never expected to get any handouts and we are not looking
for them.
We look forward to becoming your broadband provider of
choice, deploying state of the art network technology at a
reasonable price to our customers, wherever they may be.

So I think that's the end of the infomercial, I think I can call
some marketing guys if you want more spin :-).