Several wireless companies were competing to implement wireless networks
in Silicon Valley.  MetroFi won the contract and started to deploy a
free wireless solution about 3 years ago.  They offered free wireless -
that was supposed to be supported by browser ads and a premium service
that had no ads.  They leased telephone and light poles in the cities
they served for their antennas.

They just folded due to the costs involved and are trying to sell their
infrastructure to the cities they served.

I was an early adopter and had them install a wireless antenna (on a
DirecTV mount) to the side of my house as the nearest telephone pole was
basically too far away.  Even with the antenna, I still had spotty
service.

Some of the local cities are thinking of buying the service.  Foster
City said "NFW" as the infrastructure was for sale for $200,000 with an
estimated yearly maintenance cost of $125,000.  Others are looking into
it.

Wireless of any sort (free or "premium") is pretty much on life support
in the SF Bay Area.

Larry