While that would work, it is advised that doing so would leave a security hole. There are some other, more complicated workarounds/fixes which look promising. If this isn't resolved soon, I may pursue them.

Richard P.

How about uninstalling the update, disabling automatic updates and then
not installing this one until a viable fix is out?

My Internet provider suggested:

    * Calling Zone Alarm, which she also said would be impossible, given
      the amount of calls they were handling today
    * a system restore, which I declined until it becomes absolutely
      necessary

My short term solution was to uncheck Zone Alarm from running at startup, and to enable the Windows firewall, and then reboot. While the Windows firewall isn't my favorite, it's better than nothing. When I hear of a real fix, I'll let you know.

Just curious, what other firewall are recommended by the group?