At 10:57 PM -0400 7/22/08, Tom Piwowar wrote:

 >Get a video card with a digital output, and use the digital cable to
connect the LCD monitor to the video card.  The color fringing is almost
certainly caused in the part of the circuitry where the signal is analog.
Could even be caused by a poor quality analog (VGA) video cable.

I am surprised how often LCDs with digital inputs are connected using VGA
cables. I have even seen DVI to VGA adapters used in situations where the
computer did not have a VGA and the LCD had noth VGA and DVI.

This discussion prompts me to ask a question that has been bothering me for a while, ever since I replaced a CRT with a 19" wide-screen LCD on my G4 PowerMac Sawtooth.

The Mac has an admittedly anemic ATI RagePro AGP video card with only 16MB of VRAM, but the card has both a VGA and a DVI output. The LCD also has both VGA and DVI. When I bought the LCD, I also got a DVI cable, figuring that was the best way to connect the monitor to the video card.

The LCD has a native resolution of 1440 x 900. However, when connected via the DVI cable, that resolution was not available in the display preferences, only 1280 x 960 and one or two other, smaller resolutions (I didn't write them down; sorry). When using the VGA cable, however, I have fourteen different resolutions to choose from, from 640 x 480 up through 1440 x 900.

Does anyone have an explanation, or even idle speculation, for why this is the case?
--
Roger
Lovettsville, VA