"AMERICANS today spend almost as much on bandwidth --- the capacity to move information --- as we do on energy. A family of four likely spends several hundred dollars a month on cellphones, cable television and Internet connections, which is about what we spend on gas and heating oil.

Just as the industrial revolution depended on oil and other energy sources, the information revolution is fueled by bandwidth. If we aren't careful, we're going to repeat the history of the oil industry by creating a bandwidth cartel..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/30/opinion/30wu.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin