>My question:  the gmail account is a POP address; I'm using
>Thunderbird.  When I get messages via Thunderbird from this listserv,
>what happens to the messages at gmail?  Are they saved on gmail, or are
>they erased when I view them in Thunderbird?

If you set it up as POP the messages are downloaded into your computer.
Whether they are deleted from the server depends on your email settings.
Why don't you set it up as IMAP. Google lets you do that and that workse
better in many cases.

>The reason that I ask is for an archival purpose: if messages are saved
>on gmail, I can erase old messages in the Thunderbird folder.

Why do that? The list is archived in three places. Two are web accessible
and one of those went back to upload all of the available ListServ
archives. So it goes way back.