A<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
{sentby:smtp auth 24.253.234.88 authed with michael+offbalance.com}

>Constance Warner wrote:
>> Does anyone know a less expensive (or shareware) photo organizing
>> program--with some editing features--that works with Mac?
>>
>> Or is there a work-around for iPhoto that would fix this problem?

You can right-click on any photo within iPhoto and choose to "Show File"
or "Show Original File." This will bring up the file in the Finder for
you to do with whatever you want. I find it to be handy, actually, since
I don't have to go through several files with names like "picture1" then
"picture2" then "picture3-edit1" etc. to find what I want. iPhoto
doesn't allow me to have several edits at once show up in it, but if I
want that there is more expensive software which includes it.

Jordan sez:

>I used GraphicConverter for many years and still like it for many
>reasons. I also like and use the software that came with my Nikon camera.
>
>Jordan

GraphicConverter is a good editing program. I haven't found much better
for organization than iPhoto that is free (or less than the cost of an
iPhoto upgrade considering you get several apps in an iLife upgrade).
Google's Picasa is similar to iPhoto but is still Windows-only last I
checked. It also has its idiosyncrasies.

In iPhoto's preferences, you can choose to "Edit Photo:" in a different
application. iPhoto can be tied to GraphicConverter, GIMP, or any number
of other programs for more robust editing if need be.

Caveat: I am currently using iPhoto 6.0.6. Names of functions or
functions themselves may be different in iPhoto '08.

--
Michael Lewis
Off Balance Productions