On Sep 1, 2008, at 3:24 PM, rlsimon wrote:

also, what about this ATA-100 ATA-6 business...what do I need to know?

Those are simply IDE drives, all actually about the same thing. The big deal these days are SATA drives. ATA-100, ATA-6, IDE or PATA are all about the same, albeit slightly older technology than SATA, perhaps a bit more expensive as well, but they will work in the proper external enclosure. I just got a 2.5" Seagate 80 gig ATA-100 for an enclosure I had on hand and am using it for backing up my OS 10.5 data via Time Machine.

  Steve