Ethernet to USB adapters abound and work well.  I have used one with no
problems.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=184804&Sku=B20-5096&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=TBBTkwCjCVyBpAgf%20mwzygtCjCVRqCjCVRq

This is one I Googled.  It's not the one I have, but I purchased mine several
years ago.  Very handy for a computer that doesn't happen to have a NIC.  Or
for hardware failure of the existing NIC.

If the existing NIC isn't working, uninstall the device in device manager,
reboot, and let the new hardware wizard reinstall the driver.  Update the
driver from the manufacturer's web site.  All drivers tend to break at some
point in the upgrade cycle of the OS, and have to be upgraded themselves.

Fred Holmes