I have no user experience with them, but there are Virtualizations that allow running of Windows applications under Linux. One of them is known as "Wine" I belive.

Not quite.  Wine is a system add-on that attempts (with some success)
to run windows programs natively in Linux.  This is different from
virtualization, which emulates parts or all of the virtual machine
and still requires Windows to run Windows software.  Wine's
name is in fact a recursive acronym for "WINE Is Not an Emulator".
A number of windows applications work pretty well in Linux under
Wine, but Matlab is not yet one of them.

There is no lack of virtualization software for Linux, though.  Off the
top of my head, there are VMware, Parallels, VirtualBox, Xen and
QEMU and there are at least a half-dozen others.  For desktop
linux use, you'd probably want to use Parallels or VMware (commercial
but inexpensive) or VMware (free for most uses).