I've owned or used 2 Garmin Nuvi models and currently have a factory
installed car system. In each case, you can instruct the unit to bias the
routing based on preferences such as no toll roads, shortest time, shortest
distance, easiest or most direct route. The Nuvi also supports pedestrian as
well as vehicular. The 750/760 series is advertised as allowing for 12
custom routes (iirc) with as many as 10 inserted waypoints each. It provides
turn-by-turn voice prompts for these as well.

I also have a Moto Q9h which uses free apps like Windows Live Search,
mYahoo, and Google maps in conjunction with the internal GPS chip. I can
search for a restaurant, for example, pull up a phone number and get
turn-by-turn directions. Sadly, the phone does not automatically update my
location/directions as the trip progresses. I need to manually tell it to do
so.

YMMV