>Oh, that's so city/suburban of you. I used to work in a state park with >no paved roads. I live 5 miles outside a small town on the Chesapeake >Bay. I like it here. My neighbors drive worse than monkeys. I was >rear-ended yesterday at a stop light by a driver who thought the light >was green--it wasn't. Will the computer-drive network extend outside of >your universe and help those drivers?

Perhaps the first ones to be put under computer control should be your monkeys? Before using such systems in congested city/suburban areas I would think it better to give them a try in less traveled areas.

One of the things I enjoy when I travel is driving on mountain roads in the middle of nowhere, the kind of narrow roads that have no guard rails except at hairpin turns, if you're lucky. Some of US 40 through the Rockies, California route 1, and Australia route 1 used to be like that. We climb down steep cliffs to get to the best beaches. We shop at crowded bazaars where nobody speaks English, sometimes in countries on the travel warning list at travel.state.gov.

As we explore each new venue, we often remark how a situation is something that couldn't be found in the US because of fear of danger or injury. Computer-driven cars are a good idea for city/suburban commuting. However, they, along with many other fear-related additional expenditures, are an expensive replacement to personal responsibility [and good defensive driving--and a black belt in Aikido, well, actually, a brown belt].

B ><>