At 12:44 PM 10/17/2008, you wrote:
>I was talking about FIOS with someone in Reston and was told an
>interesting story...
>
>The distribution point for the neighborhood was a green box out in a
>wooded area adjoining the property where the installation took place. The
>FIOS installer ran the cable through the woods and over the lawn, leaving
>the cable on top of the ground. After complaints the Vz folks came back
>out and buried the cable under the lawn, but in the woods the cable is
>still out in the open.
>
>Customer wants to know how long they can expect their FIOS service to
>stay up.

my fios lasted 3 months.  not a cable problem.  was back up in 3 days.

i would think the only difference between buried and surface is the possibility
of mechanical damage for the surface run.(passing motocross, deer stomps the
cable).  we have underground streams, so up or down does not make a difference.