>Now I'm really confused - why would the external HD's power supply not be
>supplying its power??  What, pray tell, does all this mean as far as the low
>power messages?

I think you have demonstrated that your drive's power supply is kaput. So
the drive has to pull all its power over the USB.

The drive needs more power at start up to get the drive up to speed. That
is why you only get the low power message when the drive is spinning up
and you have other devices also pulling power over USB.