Spoke to Seagate tech support today re. External  hard drive.  He denied
that the light going out and the drive stopping to spin when unplugging it
from USB on computer means it is getting it power from the computer's power
supply and checked with some others at tech support who agreed.  Then it
occurred to me to disconnect the External hard drive power supply to see
what happens WHILE it is still connected to the computer via the USB.
Voila, this also makes the light go out and the drive stop.  Tech guy's
speculation (amd mine, actually) is that plugging it into USB sends start up
signal, which makes sense to me, since there is no reason for drive to be
running if not connected to computer, or at least fully powered.  So they
think the external drive is okay and nothing to do with the low system
voltage message, even though I started getting this around the time I set up
the hard drive.

Guess, if correct, this means one less problem, but still the computer power
supply problem, right?  If bad, will power supply go gradually or could it
fail suddenly, preventing being able to turn computer on?

Thanks

Randall