At 06:11 PM 11/2/2008, Ranbo wrote:
>After replacing CMOS battery the sound volume coming through speakers
>connected to computer seems to have returned to normal.  Does this make
>sense?  Even if it doesn't, I'll take it.  When I changed the battery it was
>the first time I ever took cover off the computer.  I didn't notice any
>ghosts in the machine.  Was I just not looking hard enough?
>
>Randall

Sure, it makes sense.  The sound volume is stored in CMOS RAM, so that it is
effective (operative) during the boot process, before the OS has loaded.  If
the motherboard battery is low, the data stored in CMOS RAM is lost before the
next boot.

Dead motherboard batteries cause all kinds of ills.  Replacement of the
motherboard battery is easy on modern motherboards.  And the battery is
relatively cheap.  Just do it and see what happens.  At most you spend a few
bucks and 15 minutes of your time.