That method has never worked. You must do this:

A. To enable autologon and bypass XP's prompt to enter a username and
password, perform the following steps:

   1. Select Run from the Start menu.
   2. Enter

      control userpasswords2

      and click OK.
   3. Select the Users tab.
   4. Uncheck the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer."
   5. Click OK.
   6. When the system prompts you, enter a username and password for users
who automatically log on, and click OK.