For office machines like you describe, the performance of a single
core machine will be indistinguishable from a multi-core machine. The
sweet spot price-wise right now is the dual cores, so get one of
those. For your needs I wouldn't pay a penny extra for any more than
that.

That your newer machine seems faster when having more apps open is
probably just due to the newer Windows install. Wipe the old machine
and install WinXP clean and I bet you'll see no difference. It's
unlikely office apps are actually *using cpu*  at the same time
anyway. Just having them 'open' doesn't use cpu at all.

I wouldn't buy WinXP now. Get Vista, it's clearly the future of
Windows, and you're going to have to learn it eventually.