after reading about slow computers, i decided that my computer had slowed down
considerably for no real reason.  i have 22 gig on a 500 gig HD, a quad core
processor with 3 meg of ram, etc.

when i had a mess on the last machine, i ran TuneUp, and it repaired a number
of problems.  so i did a full copy to an external, downloaded TuneUp, and ran
it.

it found a number of nuisance/background programs to remove, fixed a little of
this and that, and probably increased the speed of page loading in FireFox 3
fold or 4 fold.  big difference.

CAVEAT:  i had run a similar program a couple years ago.  it found some 200
errors in my registry.  after i cleaned them all out, the machine would not
boot, and could not be repaired.  i had to reload XP, programs, and data.

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

i am not affiliated with tuneup.