Well, I finally found the answer on my own.

You have to invoke Update Manager with the "-d" command line option.
Then you see the button.  It appears to the right of a message that
says "New distribution release 8.10 is available".  Could be a bug in
my system it doesn't do this by default (as it did in previous
releases).  Or possibly because 8.04 is LTS.