I live on this planet...where 20mbit cable can be had for about 55 bux...i
pay 35 for 1.5mbit dsl...qwest is horrid!  1.5mbit doesn't even count as
high speed anymore when the FCC is checking coverage unless I'm mistaken.

Mike

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Rev. Stewart Marshall <
popoz...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> 3MB is the minimum for basic cable service?  What planet are you living on?
>
> Where I live basic service starts at this level.  1.5 mps up for cable and
> 768kbs for DSL.
>
> You can get the 768 DSL for 9.95 for the teaser rate and then 19.95 per
> month long term.
>
> The Cable speed of 1.5 mps will cost you 29.95 plus modem rental.  (10
> higher if you have no cable service.)
>
> A recent advertised bundle from our cable system advertised expanded cable
> service with digital and 5 mps cable Internet all for the low price of
> $107.95 a month.
>
> Cable pricing and service is all determined by local franchises and cable
> companies.  In Some areas (high density population) there are better deals
> and faster services available.
>
> In other parts (low density population) it just plain old sucks.
>
> Stewart
>

> At 09:00 AM 1/15/2009, you wrote:
>
>> Yes, 16Mb / 3Mb is fast service. If your speed was merely 3Mb down, you'd
>> be
>> at the minimum of what is usually sold as basic cable internet service. I
>> always counsel people to remember that real-life speed is what we really
>> care about and that will always be a function of the load on and the
>> capacity of every intermediate point between your screen and the provider
>> of
>> your download.
>>

> Rev. Stewart A. Marshall
> mailto:popoz...@earthlink.net
> Prince of Peace www.princeofpeaceozark.org
> Ozark, AL  SL 82

Make sure you support your local CarbonONset programs!