>And that is what I was trying to do - install the flight
>simulator...  Except that it's not a "general" app, it's special.

The idea of "general" app vs. "special" app is totally foreign to me. All
apps can do potentially harmful things to a computer so I worry about all
apps. If there are no safeguards about any random app running I am
concerned.

A while back Flash was able to update itself without getting intercepted
by OS X. I was very unhappy about that and am glad this is no longer the
case. We really do need to have the OS able to protect itself.

One reason I like hardware applicances is because all their code is in
firmware. While it can be updated, it is a special process. It sometimes
even requires that hardware buttons get pressed a certain way, so the
hardware protects the firmware.