Elaine Zablocki <elainezablo...@ezab.net> escribió:

What scarcity? What is America running out of in your view? In
what way are our prospects diminished? Most libertarians believe
that if there is a scarcity, it represents a market opportunity,
and believe that with the right choices made our prospects look
good indeed.

We are running out of oil, and our entire economy is based on oil.

U.S. oil production hit its peak in 1970.  World oil production is at
its peak about now.

This doesn't mean there is no more oil... there is still lots
left.... but it means we probably face declining amounts of available
oil, plus increased competition from other countries for what is
available
...blah blah blah...

Think globally--act locally.

I hear/see lots of people complaining about the price/scarcity of oil from their lonely perches in their huge SUVs. Not paying attention? Drive a behemoth, then don't complain about oil. Can't afford to heat your house? Maybe you're in the wrong house, using the wrong heating/cooling system. Food too expensive. Eat lower on the food chain or learn to cook expensive food for less. Coal is too dirty? Nuke plants are dangerous [I live within the 50 mile radius of TMI and Salem plants. TMI near-meltdown was on my birthday] and waste is more dangerous? Switch to natural gas, propane, solar, wind. It's more expensive to do nothing than to make changes.

If you don't want us to have more oil wars, it's completely possible--and affordable--to do something about it before the legislatures figure out what convoluted laws to pass to force you to switch, perhaps limiting your choices. Oil is dirty. I remember sitting on the beach in Nice picking up chunks of oil residue washed up from the last few oil spills. Over the past 20 years I've found oil blobs on almost every beach we've visited around the world--I've started a souvenir tarball collection. Ugh!

I've done my part this year. Bought a new iMac that uses less than 1/4 as much power as the G4 it replaces. Bought a new car with a computer display that is "stuck" between 38 and 40 MPG average fuel consumption [it will be paid off by June, too]. Next car I want is a clean diesel that gets 65 MPG like they have in Europe--better than hybrids. I've lived in a solar house for 30 years, using about 1/3 the energy of other homes the same size, saving enough money to pay off the 30 year mortgage in 18 years, and use the rest of the savings to pay for college and travel a lot.

What have you done on your own? Do you recycle? Cycle? Why are you waiting for the gummint to tell you what you have to do? Forget scarcity. Think about your wallet and your future. Buy thoughtfully. Vote carefully.

Betty