I don't see why not, especially since you may not be getting it from
the local phone company right now. I assumed you were, which was why
you were reluctant to give up the old landline. Anyway, a quick call
to your phone company/Earthlink should answer the question and supply
pricing info.

But again, now may be the time to consider alternatives. Specifically,
cable & satellite options. For myself, it was cheaper to drop DSL and
go with VOIP over cable (satellite has too much latency for my gaming
to be considered).