At 05:43 PM 2/26/2009, Tony B wrote:
>Let's not confuse the issue. Gas heaters use pilot lights, and the
>thermocouple in the flame generates enough micro voltage to run the
>thermostat. Again, an outside source of electricity would only be
>required to run any fans. But the units will heat a house with no
>electricity at all.

Interesting.  I had always assumed that the thermocouple was just a safety
device to shut off the gas to the pilot light if the pilot light became
extinguished.

I hope the next time that I need a new water heater, they still make them that
run without any connection to household electricity, i.e., you still have hot
water for a shower even if the electricity has gone off in a storm (or some
idiot hitting a pole).

Fred Holmes