in the world of dot matrix, epson is tough to beat.  they never established a
trash line (HP,Brother, compaq,lexmark,xerox) to sell on the cheap at bestbuy
and circuitcity.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-8182

they also have a clearance center.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccHome.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

they claim 540 pages with their high output black cartridge.

their scanners have always also been one of the best.