It's unfortunate that the standard of audio reproduction is now the built in speakers on a laptop or the earbuds on the rack at Walmart.

It's far from any kind of standard.  It's mass market crap.  Riley,
most people don't know any better.

I doubt you could make a case that 45 rpm singles and most pop
LPs, CDs etc. played on crappy equipment sounded anything
better than an MP3.

I think most people today have not heard enough live music
to have a standard of comparison, and I'm not talking about
rock concerts in sports arenas not designed for music here.

There are inevitable compromises in attempting to reproduce
music as I'm sure you'll agree.  But some methods are better
than others, as you know.

I like your approach, it seems reasonable to me.