>I backed up the boot drive to an external FireWire drive and plugged it >into the iMac. Migration assistant only sees two accounts that I deleted >several months ago, and not the one user account that's current. I >assume the deleted accounts are in a preference somewhere, but where?

Check the Users directory to confirm that those accounts were completely deleted.

In System Preferences/Accounts and also /Users/ those deleted accounts
aren't there. I can't see them when I make the invisible files visible
either.

Where is the data for the user accounts stored? In the main Library or
System/Library--and which folder/file? Can it be edited in Terminal?